Thursday, May 5, 2016

Pictures of Where Grandparents & Great-Grandparents Lived

I recently took a trip to where my grandparents and great-grandparents once lived. For some reason I got the idea to try to discover how they met. On the trip I took several pictures. I wish I'd have taken more. When I return there are several more pictures I want to take. One picture might be difficult because I have to drive a gravel road to reach the place where my great-grandfather's farm was. It was beautiful with green wheat growing, rolling hills. I couldn't stop driving to take photos because of the ruts in the gravel road. I was afraid I'd wouldn't be able to start going again because of the condition and deep ruts in the road. I was worried about going off the road into the ditch.  I'm not sure which side of the road his farm was on. I plan to call the county court house and find out if they have records back that far.

I love grain elevators because my dad used to paint them when he was younger. I mean he got on scaffolding and literally painted the structure. I add these pictures to honor all the work my father did painting grain elevators.





The next few pictures are of a building in Seger, Oklahoma. Seger is where my grandmother was born. I thought it was a beautiful building and loved the old tree behind it. When I saw the date on the sign it said 'Fred Kauger 1924'. That's the year my mother was born so I thought it would be a fitting picture to honor her and her mother.




The photo below was of a nice view in Seger, Oklahoma. Beautiful rolling hills. Now I know why my great-grandfather Duerksen had his farm around this area.




"Colony One of the oldest towns in Western Oklahoma founded in 1886 by John Seger and the Cheyenne-Arapaho on the banks of Cobb Creek. Seger Indian Industrial School operated here from 1892 until 1932. Local tradition holds this was a starting point for the Land run of 1892. Dutch Reformed Misson opened here in 1895. Post Office established Jan. 8, 1896. Buildings in this block built in 1920"s by Fred Kauger and restored by Oklahoma Supreme Court Justice Yvonne Kauger. Long before the 20th Century, Native Americans occupied the surrounding land c. 904-1400 A.D. George Bent lived in the area and is buried nearby. Pow.Wows held here since late 1930's by Cheyenne-Arapaho Tribes Oklahoma Historical Society 229-1997"

In trying to find links on the Internet about Seger, Oklahoma I found one and it's about a Native American Pow-Wow that's celebrated somewhere in or near Seger. Some of the other links were broken and don't work. 

The info on the Pow-Wow is:
September 2-5, 2005: Cheyenne-Arapaho Labor Day Powwow
Location: Cheyenne-Arapaho Tribal Park, East Seger, Colony, OK 73021
Event Detail: Gourd dancing at 2 pm, Grand entry promptly at 8 pm, dance contests, volleyball, horseshoes, Leslie Sage Cheyenne Princess, Anna Helen Spottedwolf, Arapaho Princess.
Contact: Charlene, phone: 580/323-0340, email: cwassana@yahoo.com


http://www.blogoklahoma.us/place.aspx?id=108

http://www.blogoklahoma.us/place.aspx?id=102



No comments:

Post a Comment