Thursday, February 26, 2009

Aviation Student Carrying Explosive Into Airport

OU student faces Aug. 31 hearing on federal charges

The Norman Transcript

August 18, 2005 01:12 am

By Melissa A. Wabnitz
Transcript Staff Writer
A University of Oklahoma student accused of transporting an explosive device into Will Rogers World Airport in Oklahoma City last week is still enrolled and could begin classes at the Norman campus next Monday.
OU public affairs vice president Catherine Bishop confirmed Tuesday aviation senior Charles Alfred Dreyling Jr. is still a student. Dreyling is one semester away from completing an aviation management degree, according to his lawyer Kent Eldridge.
Bishop would not comment on whether the university was instituting its own disciplinary proceedings against Dreyling, as outlined in the OU student code handbook.
U.S. Department of Homeland Security documents obtained by The Transcript detail on Aug. 11, federal agents searched Dreyling's Norman residence. In the residence, the memo states, agents found "gunpowder, carbon dioxide cartridges and wires" as well as a computer with a video of detonation of a device similar to the one transported into the airport Aug. 10.
Norman Police Lt. Tom Easley confirmed the department's participation in the search but said he would not comment on the nature of the items removed from Dreyling's Norman residence, nor would FBI spokesperson Gary Johnson. One charge of attempting to carry an explosive or incendiary device was filed against Dreyling in the Western District of Federal Court in the State of Oklahoma. Eldridge said as far as he knows, prosecutors are not planning to file new charges against Dreyling.
Though an unidentified Homeland Security official wrote in the Aug. 12 memo the Transportation Security Administration is proceeding with a recommendation that the FAA revoke Dreyling's commercial license, no such actions have taken place said FAA spokesperson Roland Herwig. Dreyling received the license May 5.
"We have not performed any actions against (Dreyling)," Herwig said.
U.S. Attorney Robert McCampbell said "he was unable to comment on the matter."
A preliminary hearing is scheduled Aug. 31. Until that point, Eldridge said his client will continue to abide by the terms of his release, as he is "representing a fine young man."
"This has been quite a shock to him," Eldridge said. "He's never been in any kind of trouble before and we are waiting for the preliminary hearing."
Eldridge said the government is "admittedly, very concerned about what happened" at the airport and that his client has, and will continue to, cooperate with prosecutors and investigators.
Melissa A. Wabnitz 366-3550

No comments:

Post a Comment